PAIRED WITH: Apolloni Vineyards Lacrima d’Oro Muscat
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350°. Butter the sides of an 8-by-2-inch round cake pan (or 8-inch springform pan). Line the bottom of the pan with a round of parchment paper, butter the paper, and coat the pan with a little flour, tapping out the excess.
2. Place the almonds, sugar, salt and almond extract in the bowl of a food processor and process until the nuts are finely pulverized.
3. Add the eggs and butter and pulse to blend thoroughly. Add the flour and baking powder and pulse just until blended.
4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Bake in the preheated 350° oven until the cake is golden brown on top, the sides have pulled away a bit from pan, and a toothpick plunged into the center comes out clean – about 35 to 45 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a rack.
5. To unmold, slide a slim knife or spatula around the cake to release the sides. Cover the pan with a plate and invert both. Remove the cake pan, peel off the parchment liner, and turn the cake right side up onto a serving plate. Dust lightly with powdered sugar before serving, if desired. Tightly wrapped
in plastic wrap, the cake keeps well at room temperature for several days.
6. Serve with fresh berries, a fresh berry puree, or with sliced fresh plums, peaches, or nectarines.