Pepito Pesto with Roasted Squash
PAIRED WITH: Dobbes Family Estate Amelia Rose Cuvée Pinot Noir
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and gather all your ingredients.
- Line a medium baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice and seed the squash so it is ready to be processed.
- Chop the squash into preferred sizes (I used half rings of Delicata) and toss in olive oil.
- Combine all dry ingredients to make a spice blend and toss with the squash.
- Evenly lay out the squash on a baking sheet and place it into the oven until golden brown (about 20 minutes).
- While the squash cooks it is a suitable time to cook the pasta and prepare the pesto.
Prepare Pepita Pesto Pasta:
- Place a large pot of water over high heat, this will be used to cook the pasta.
- Once the water starts to boil add a pound of pasta and allow it to cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Set a timer!
- While the pasta is cooking, time to assemble the pesto.
- In a food processor combine the roasted pepitas, arugula, basil, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Pulse until the ingredients start to combine.
- With the food processor running, start to stream in the olive oil. Start by slowly streaming in the 1/3rd cup of oil until combined. This mixture will be thick to coat the pasta.
- If the pesto is too thick you can slowly add a little more oil by streaming it into the food processor.
- Do not forget to check on your pasta! Once it is fully cooked you will drain it, toss with some olive oil to ensure the noodles do not stick together. Keep warm.
- Once the pesto consistency is to your liking, toss with the hot pasta, Serve in a pasta dish top with the squash and garnish with more cheese, basil, and extra pepitas if desired.