AUTUMN BEEF DAUB
PAIRED WITH: Ponzi Vineyards Laurelwood Pinot Noir
1. Cut the meat into large 1” square, somewhat uniform, cubes
2. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed casserole dish
3. Season the beef evenly, almost heavily, with salt and pepper
4. Brown the beef on all sides, looking for even caramelization
5. Add the garlic, mushroom and onion, saut. until tender, but not to brown
6. Add bouquet garni and wine
7. Simmer a few minutes, to reduce slightly
8. Add beef stock
9. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Check occasionally to ensure there is sufficient liquid to cover the beef. You may add more wine, broth, or water to ensure this level.
10. When beef is tender, remove bouquet garni and adjust seasonings.
11. Just before serving, add the cream.
12. Serve in bowls over a generous helping of creamy polenta.