Irene Bonn Laney's Toasted and Spiced Coconut Quinoa Porridge (Raptor Ridge Winery)
We love how comforting yet bright this is, especially for the colder winter months. Courtesy of Chef Irene Bonn Laney.
Pairing: 2016 Raptor Ridge Auxerrois
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed drained
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar brown sugar, maple or honey (your choice of sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Sliced fruit of your choice berries banana, pear, citrus
- Chopped nuts of your choice I like toasted almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews
- Milk of your choice for serving coconut, almond, cashew, cow
Toast the quinoa in the bottom of your dry pan for 1-2 minutes, over low heat, tossing occasionally. Add coconut milk, water, sugar, vanilla, salt and spices to saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and let sit for 5 minutes. Spoon into serving bowls and top with nuts, fruit and milk of choice.