Braised Rabbit with Delicata Squash, Tomato & Kale
PAIRED WITH: Brooks Crannell Pinot Noir
1. Heat your oven to 450.
2. In a small bowl combine the cardamom, 1 tbsp salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder and mix to combine. Coat the rabbit with the seasoning.
3. In a hot sauté pan, add a good drizzle of olive oil and sear the rabbit on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and place in a deep half hotel pan.
4. To the pan the rabbit was cooked in, add the onions and sauté, deglaze with 1 cup of Crannell Pinot Noir. Bring to a boil and add the chicken broth.
5. Add this mixture over the rabbit, then add the whole canned tomatoes, crushing them with your hands, and then add the sprig of rosemary.
6. Cover the pan with foil and braise in the oven for 2.5 hours.
7. When the rabbit is done, gently remove the rabbit from the pan and set aside. Put the leftover broth into a sauce pan and reduce by half. Add 3 tbsp of butter and let the sauce thicken. Set aside.
8. For the delicata squash, place the circles flat on a sheet pan and drizzle with a little olive oil and salt, then add the remaining 3 tbsp of Crannell Pinot. Cook in a 450 oven for 20 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
9. Take another sauté pan and add the garlic, white wine and remaining butter with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add the kale, cooking until just wilted.
10. To plate, place the kale and then the squash. Place the rabbit on top and drizzle with the reduced sauce. Add chopped chives as a garnish. Enjoy!