Fairsing Harvest Brittle
PAIR WITH: Fairsing Vineyard Chardonnay
1. To prepare, grease a rimmed baking sheet and set aside for spreading mixture when complete.
2. Combine a mixture of favorite salted nuts (12 ounces total), rough chop larger nuts, and spread on a second baking sheet. Place sheet in oven to warm to 300 degrees while mixing the brittle syrup. (Adding warm nuts to the syrup mixture doesn’t bring down the temperature as quickly and makes the brittle easier to spread on the greased baking sheet.
3. In large saucepan combine the sugar, water, butter, and corn syrup and cook over moderate heat until sugar dissolves.
Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the caramel registers
300 degrees on a candy thermometer (about 10 minutes).
4. Remove from heat and carefully stir in baking soda and cayenne pepper. The mixture will bubble and foam. Immediately stir in warm nuts and scrape mixture onto the greased baking sheet. Use a heat-proof spatula or the back of a large, greased spoon to spread the mixture into a thin, even layer. Sprinkle with sea salt or fleur de sel. Let cool 30 minutes before breaking into pieces. Store in an air-tight container.
5. This treat is packed with protein and delights with a slight hint of cayenne on the back palate. Pairs well with family and friends. While nibbling, enjoy with a Fairsing Vineyard Rosé of Pinot noir or Chardonnay.